Skip to content

Towne Square Concept D - Hybrid

As part of our plan to revitalize Oakville’s historic downtown, the town is redesigning Towne Square, a small but unique public space located at 210 Lakeshore Road. Building on the work done on the downtown streetscape design, a new design for Towne Square will enhance the vibrancy of the neighbourhood and provide more opportunities for public events.

A few things to keep in mind:

• If you like some elements from one design, but other elements from another, feel free to take a mix and match approach. Please clearly indicate your preferences in your comments.
  • Most of Towne Square is built over an underground parking garage, making it a challenge to plant trees in the space.

Show your support for other people’s comments

You have ten votes (maximum three votes per comment), so use them to show support for your favourite comment(s). Remember to visit often. You can always change your vote as new comments come in.

For more information on this project and additional opportunities to provide input, visit the Towne Square Redevelopment page.

The deadline to provide feedback is January 14, 2019.

31 results found

1. Real grass please! Not turf.

I hate fake grass. Keep it real please!

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2. I am not a fan of this concept.

We need open space with real grass and trees and enough flat space around it for people to put their folding chairs when an event takes place in the square. No need for more water features in town! I do not particularly like the wavy lines . They do not serve any purpose.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. 7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. save the money

I like D however,, here is my opinion. I don't go to "downtown" Oakville for a few reasons... 1. traffic is horrible, 2 no place to park, 3. why shop there when I can shop elsewhere.
    1. I live off Dundas and just to get to Oakville area, it takes over 30 minutes. Traffic is horrible and the lights don't help. Save the money and use it to spread where there is growth.
    2. Have you ever tried to find a parking,, you cant, and when you do there are so many private parking or it cost a fortune. This…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Like amphitheatre style seating. This is a fav concept in the current space.

Shade is an absolute must. Green infrastructure should be maximized. Forget fake grass!! Trees, trees trees. Small native trees like Serviceberry an attractive option. Add shade sails to reduce heat island effect. Think Europe: Lots of small space models that work

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →
  6. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →
  7. This is the best we can do?

I strongly dislike both, as well the current town square. There should be much more grass and as little concrete as possible. Downtown Oakville is so disconnected to all the natural beauty the town has to offer. I think Wallace Park is a much nicer example of what a town square should look like.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →
  8. Town Square feedback

Town Square feedback (please see attached)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →
  9. No splash pad....

The intent for revitalizing downtown Oakville is to bring shoppers back, people to the restaurants etc. It should have a more serious purpose...musicians, artists etc. People won't make a trip to the Town Square for the kids to play in the splash pad...If they have the kids with them, they won't shop, they won't spend time relaxing and enjoying the restaurants & coffee shops etc.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. why bother?

Why to spend all the time and money on insignificant change? I would rather see improvements on the waterfront which is in shameful condition.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →
  12. I would like to see more bench type seating (that has a back to it) - we are seniors that need back support!

Add benches that are there most of the time and can be moved for special event periods.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Save the money. Few Oakvillians use the area, it is more for the "locals"

The vast majority of Oakvillians live far away from this area. It is difficult to get to, hard to find parking, expensive and exclusive. Find a new and more representative area for a New town square that is more representative of Oakville's current demographic and will be of more use in the 21st century. let the local BIA and residents fund this if it is that important to them

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. This is my choice

The wavy lines are a unique, whimsical feature that toddlers would have fun with. They also reflect the waves of Lake Ontario.

The illuminated water feature would be a very nice feature. Combined with real grass this area would provide a natural, restful space.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. - a focal point would help this concept (ie. larger and more central water feature, public art)

• trees and grass are nice features but if looking for a complete revamp and making the square a focal point of the downtown community to showcase local businesses and local arts and creativity then a strong focal point would help this hybrid concept (ie. larger and more central water feature, public art, creative and flexible seating ideas, multipurpose space for events)
    3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Real grass please! Not turf.

I hate fake grass. Keep it real please!

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Both a waste of time & money.

Total waste of time and money. Both and the concept. You want people to shop and got to restaurants. Lots of empty real estate, Rents are too high, taxes are too high. Make it affordable.!!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →
  19. It is not a town square like. This it is just another miniature park that Oakville is full of.

Save the money. Few Oakvillians use the area, it is more for the "locals"

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →
  20. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)