Skip to content

Towne Square Concept C

As part of our plan to revitalize Oakville’s historic downtown, the town is redesigning Towne Square, a small but unique public space located at 210 Lakeshore Road.

Building on the work done on the downtown streetscape design, a new design for Towne Square will enhance the vibrancy of the neighbourhood and provide more opportunities for public events.

A few things to keep in mind:

• These are just preliminary concepts. They will be refined based on stakeholder and public feedback and will be presented again to the public in early fall.

• If you like some elements from one design, but other elements from another, feel free to take a mix and match approach. Please clearly indicate your preferences in your comments.

• Although not shown in all images, a section of grass can be incorporated into all preliminary design concepts.

• Most of Towne Square is built over an underground parking garage, making it a challenge to plant trees in the space.

Show your support for other people’s comments

You have ten votes (maximum three votes per comment), so use them to show support for your favourite comment(s). Remember to visit often. You can always change your vote as new comments come in.

For more information on this project and additional opportunities to provide input, visit the Towne Square Redevelopment page.

The deadline to provide feedback is August 3, 2018.

11 results found

1. All the designs are basically the same idea.

All of these designs are vey similar to one another and to the current design. There is too much hard scape and it is not vey inviting. It is not apparent how any of these desdigns would contribute to revitalizing the downtown. If we wont be offered better options than these, then I would rather just keep the current square. These designs do not provide enough benefit to be worth the money or disruption. My choice is none of the above and to change the timeline of the project to start again with better ideas from a different desgn firm.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Admin →
  2. Universal/Accessible Design a Must!

Regardless of the final outcome, a universal or accessible design should be incorporated so that all people with different abilities can enjoy and easily access. The pattern for the walking surface is of concern. For those who are blind or have low vision, a contrasting pattern/color and tactile surface should be used to guide people accordingly.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. No good any of the 3, I prefer the traditional traditional one we have now is our heritage! Save the money to reduce property taxes !

No good any of the 3, I prefer the traditional traditional one we have now is our heritage! Save the money to reduce property taxes !

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →
  4. Green is good.

Agree the oval should be grassed, either astroturf or natural, the latter if maintained in good condition so it doesn't become a dust bowl. Expand sidewalks near crosswalk to provide more space.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. 7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →
  6. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. This one is the best of all, open space, lots of shade and nice colours. I liked it a lot.

As a suggestion I think if there were lights in the trees at winter it would make it a better more happier space.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →
  8. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Least Favourite of the bunch

While I really like the patterns on the ground, I find the spaced to look too closed-in. It doest seem like something to walk through and enjoy, but instead walk around the centre. The green space looks plentiful but is not something that you can sit among and interact with... just look at because its all in contained flower beds.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. I like this one

Nice design, I like it. No grass needed here.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →
  11. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Towne Square Concept C