Skip to content

Towne Square Concept A2

As part of our plan to revitalize Oakville’s historic downtown, the town is redesigning Towne Square, a small but unique public space located at 210 Lakeshore Road.

Building on the work done on the downtown streetscape design, a new design for Towne Square will enhance the vibrancy of the neighbourhood and provide more opportunities for public events.

A few things to keep in mind:

• These are just preliminary concepts. They will be refined based on stakeholder and public feedback and will be presented again to the public in early fall.

• If you like some elements from one design, but other elements from another, feel free to take a mix and match approach. Please clearly indicate your preferences in your comments.

• Although not shown in all images, a section of grass can be incorporated into all preliminary design concepts.

• Most of Towne Square is built over an underground parking garage, making it a challenge to plant trees in the space.

Show your support for other people’s comments

You have ten votes (maximum three votes per comment), so use them to show support for your favourite comment(s). Remember to visit often. You can always change your vote as new comments come in.

For more information on this project and additional opportunities to provide input, visit the Towne Square Redevelopment page.

The deadline to provide feedback is August 3, 2018.

16 results found

1. 7 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2. 6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. fair

Replace the oval paving with grass. Delete the curved fountain. Replace with planter and trees

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. I like the fountains. We need water as it is calming, & beautiful.

A large round fountain in the middle would be great. People would sit around it.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. No good, prefer the actual one, why to change , save money to reduce property taxes

No good, prefer the actual one is peaceful and relaxing , why the change? Should save the money to reduce property taxes!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Universal/Accessible Design a Must!

Regardless of the final outcome, a universal or accessible design should be incorporated so that all people with different abilities can enjoy and easily access. The pattern for the walking surface is of concern. For those who are blind or have low vision, a contrasting pattern/color and tactile surface should be used to guide people accordingly.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. What a mess!

Have the designers actually visited the Square?
    This design is a confused mix of styles, completely inaccessible and does not fit with the heritage district it's part of.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. None of the designs speak to the heart and historic of Oakville- I find them to modern and at odds with Oakville's heritage

To begin with I like the towne square as it is, it could use some refreshing and build some infrastructure required for large events. Oakville wants to be seen as town, and also its historic heritage is important. If you take the time to walk and stop and "see" the beautiful buildings that this sort of designs would take away or drown out of view. It is important to preserve Oakville's heritage. I also believe that the square should preserve "green" grass areas, were people can throw a blanket and children play. I see too much concrete and is really…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →
  13. I would contact Oakville Green asking what trees/big shrubs would grown in large planters. I would design all the plants with wheels on them

The plants with wheels could be locked in place. Moved when necessary there would be a "skirt" around the planters so wheels are not showing. I would have a small but well run volunteer booth to give information and promote events, activities etc. Tranquil music in back ground. Attract all age groups, some people might just like to sit. Dog cooling area. Bike rack, wifi hook up or recharger, presentable garbage cans. As I see the town presently, it appears to be for women only, Look at the stores around. Very little to nothing to really attract men business wise,…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →
  14. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →