You choose to call Oakville home. Tell us what YOU think makes Oakville most livable or what we need to do to make it more livable?

Reduce Oakville expenses so Oakville no longer has second highest taxes per capita of all Ontario municipalitoties over 100,000

Ensure Oakville only uses ONE accounting system not 2 so taxpayers can figure out what is really going on

48 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    alex murphy alex murphy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To be clear - is the Comment from the Town respecting "property tax increases" a reference to property tax rates - or a reference to the actual tax revenues i.e. tax rate * Assessment ? Is it safe to assume that in this equation the tax collectors have benefitted nicely from the above average inflation that seems to be reflected in our property assessments - to be fair, the Town grows - its tax base changes - the public's needs change - we can all afford to dream - but let's not be too hasty with the discretionary expenditure decision making - thank-you

• RobRob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The best way to reduce taxes is to eliminate frivolous feel good projects like the waterfront redevelopment plan. A concept just made for consultants and their pie in the sky dreams fuelled by special interest cultural groups with too much time on their hands.

• Town of OakvilleTown of Oakville commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Council's objective is to keep the total property tax increases in line with inflation. Our financial statements are prepared in accordance with Public Sector Accounting Board standards and are audited annually. As part of this audit, the budget to actual is closely reviewed.

Feedback and Knowledge Base