You choose to call Oakville home. Tell us what YOU think makes Oakville most livable or what we need to do to make it more livable?

Control / Reduce Canada Geese on Waterfront, Parks & Trails

Too many Canada geese and their droppings along waterfront, beaches, walkways, parks. This an environmental and health issue. Adults, children and pets step in it, pets roll in it, kids fall in it. Their droppings pollute our water and close the beaches. Also causes infections in the pets. I heard there is a certain type grass they don't eat. Maybe planting that would move them on. They really are very unhealthy and unsanitary to be around.

23 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    David LefevreDavid Lefevre shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • RobRob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I propose we cull the simple minded citizens who feed the geese in violation of posted notices not to. Well not necessarily cull them but fine them within the limits of the law.

• Town of OakvilleTown of Oakville commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Canada geese are protected through the Migratory Bird Act federal legislation. We have a Goose Population Management program in place that includes egg oiling to control local breeding geese, a large relocation in June to collect molt migrant geese, and habitat modification in several waterfront parks. We hope to implement other landscape improvements along the waterfront to reduce the opportunities for loafing geese. Learn more by visiting http://www.oakville.ca/culturerec/goose-management.html

Feedback and Knowledge Base