What makes Oakville livable?

To ensure we’re meeting your service expectations, every two years we survey a random sample of Oakville residents to find out if we’re hitting our mark. Pollara Strategic Insights completed a phone survey on our behalf on March 8. To complement our phone survey, we opened up our Idea Forum to find out what YOU think makes Oakville most livable and what we can do to make it better.

Oakville residents have generated so many great ideas, that we have decided to keep this Idea Forum open! Ideas submitted up until April 19 will be shared with Council in May as part of the Citizen Survey report findings. We encourage you to continue to post your ideas, vote on others and share your favourites on Twitter and Facebook. Mayor Rob Burton will also be active in these discussions, so look for his ideas and comments as well!

You have ten votes (maximum three votes per idea), so use them to show support for your favourite idea(s). Remember to visit often. You can always change your vote as new ideas come in.

Now let’s get started!

You choose to call Oakville home. Tell us what YOU think makes Oakville most livable or what we need to do to make it more livable?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. 2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Pedestrian and Bike Crossings in the Trails

The users of trails usually have a hard time crossing streets. I believe there should be a Pedestrian/Bicycle crossing whenever a Trails meets a road. This would make it safer for trail users and would encourage the use of trails and is consistent with the Cycle Walk Oakville Program

5 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Parks and trails  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Perfect place to live

Ice cream truck should be ban. It's sound pollution with their ding **** music, danger for accident and provide **** food for our kids. They also kill local business. A real disease for our great city

4 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          2 comments  ·  Economic environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Citizen Surveys - Ask residents if they are satisfied with the level of property taxes that they are paying

All previous Citizen Surveys indicated that residents were increasingly sensitive to increased taxation. In 2011 it was the fastest growing concern and the second most important issue overall. The 2013 survey excluded any mention of taxes...why?

5 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            2 comments  ·  Economic environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Revive Bus route 31 along Bridge road to Bronte Go station

When Bus route 31 was "merged" last year and no longer services Bridge Road between Bronte and Third line many bus users were excluded from transport to Bronte Go station. Yes - one can still take the number 15 bus all the way to Oakville station but if you are traveling west or trying to catch a certain train this is not workable. In addtion, even with the addition of the Bronte south parking lot, there are very few spots avaiable (if any) and by bringing back route 31 along Bridge Road would assist in this issue. I personally went…

18 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              3 comments  ·  Active transportation and transit  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Enforce the by-laws

Our council grants variances much too readily with the result that our Town is being transformed as normal sized homes are destroyed and replaced by mega homes. This is changing the character of our Town, pushing up assessed values for all homes and increasing property taxes for all, including seniors and others on fixed incomes.

9 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Responsible government  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Gairloch Gardens

Gairloch Gardens is under utilized. The building of the Gallery would be ideal for a teahouse or coffee shop (operated independently by a private entrepreneur) and local artists could have their work exhibited (and offered for sale) on its walls. It would be a great stop for cyclists, joggers, dog walkers and a meeting place for the neighbourhood. Also over the years several trees had to be cut down because of age and storm damage and they were not replaced. Please plant some trees!

6 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  1 comment  ·  Parks and trails  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • sidewalk downtown

To make the downtown experience more enjoyable sidewalks on Lakeshore Road should be wider. This would allow for benches to sit on and cafes and restaurants should be allowed to utilize this space. Parking should be eliminated and the safe bicycle lane should continue there. Instead of people just jumping out of their parked cars to go into one store they could stroll by several stores that would allow for more unplanned traffic into these retail spaces if they would have to park a few blocks away. Without the parked cars obstructing the view the downtown would be a more…

2 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    1 comment  ·  Roads and infrastructure  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • leash free dogs

Like many North American cities dogs should be allowed leash free in certain parks/trails at certain times of the day. Leash free dog parks are not sufficient for socializing and exercising pets and many dog owners enjoy walking or jogging with their pets leash free.

4 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Parks and trails  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Do not resurface roads needlessly

I see streets being resurfaced in my neighbourhood needlessly: when the speed limit is supposed to be 40 km/h the road surface does not need to be super smooth! A few bumps here and there would calm the traffic, save a lot in taxes and would pollute the environment less.

6 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Roads and infrastructure  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • dogs

We need more garbage bins on main thoroughfares. Maybe there would be less litter and dog **** along Lakeshore Road or Morrison Road if there were some garbage disposal bins available. Eg. there is no bin on Lakeshore Road between downtown and Cairncroft Road, that is maybe a 2 km stretch!

2 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • wider sidewalks and bicycle lanes

The middle turning lane on Lakeshore Road should be converted into 2 proper bicycle lanes on the sides. By eliminating the turning lane the traffic would be naturally calmed and safer. Lakeshore Road is a popular destination for cyclists, joggers, dog walkers. However the sidewalk is narrow and not well kept (not even paved everywhere, barely passable in the winter) and there is no suitable bicycle lane. The present bicycle lane is a sad joke. It is not safe, not wide enough, and often full of debris, blocked by parked property maintenance trucks etc. Parking in the bicycle lane should…

2 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Roads and infrastructure  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • 18 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              2 comments  ·  Community facilities  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • expand the suggested 16 trail north to Dundas (and beyond?)

Create trail along 16 Mile Creek all the way up to Dundas and if possible beyond.
                              That beautiful valley would be a great asset for the town if it was accessible.

4 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • A trail should be constructed along 16 Mile Creek from downtown to Cross Ave. This is a beautiful natural park area that there is no access

Why not construct a trail along 16 Mile Creek from downtown to Cross Avenue. This is a beautiful park area that there is no access to. This valley is a lovely feature that we should all be able to enjoy.

21 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Reduce Oakville expenses so Oakville no longer has second highest taxes per capita of all Ontario municipalitoties over 100,000

Ensure Oakville only uses ONE accounting system not 2 so taxpayers can figure out what is really going on

47 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Improve government transparency.

Provide clear communication from our elected officials that help me to understand their areas of focus, the decisions they are making, and how these decisions are moving Oakville forward to be the most livable town.

Rather than requiring citizens to sit through council meetings or plod through detailed meeting minutes to try to learn what our elected leaders are doing for us, use the Oakville website, for example, to provide brief updates.

52 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      1 comment  ·  Responsible government  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Expand free public transport for Seniors along with better routing.

After a pilot project last Summer, Seniors 65+ can ride the bus for free every Monday. Why not expand this to 7 days a week? As long as it takes multiple changes to get around town, Seniors will continue to use their cars, so there needs to be a total revamp of routing. Let's work to get the buses filled instead of driving half empty.

17 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        1 comment  ·  Seniors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Integrate trail systems for cyclists and pedestrians.

I haven't used my bicycle since I moved here 10 years ago because I don't want to ride on high-traffic roads. It would be great if there were more trails that could link up so it's posslble to ride through the city without using the busiest roads. If that were possible I think more people would use their bicycle to get to work instead of a car. Win-win!

46 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          3 comments  ·  Parks and trails  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Control / Reduce Canada Geese on Waterfront, Parks & Trails

Too many Canada geese and their droppings along waterfront, beaches, walkways, parks. This an environmental and health issue. Adults, children and pets step in it, pets roll in it, kids fall in it. Their droppings pollute our water and close the beaches. Also causes infections in the pets. I heard there is a certain type grass they don't eat. Maybe planting that would move them on. They really are very unhealthy and unsanitary to be around.

23 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            3 comments  ·  Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base